Community Planning and Development Lead
Telephone # 519-579-1096 ext. 3009
Charitable # 107987116 RR0001
MissionAdvance community through participation and knowledge.
Mobilizing Kitchener-Waterloo to Eliminate PovertySince April 2007, the Social Planning Council of Kitchener-Waterloo has hosted discussions about poverty with more than 1,500 community members in over 30 forums and small groups across Kitchener-Waterloo. Through these much has been learned about issues that bring and keep people in poverty, and about what is needed to finally break the cycle. During those discussions, Poverty Free Kitchener-Waterloo has been created to be a local response to the Social Assistance Review and has been mobilizing voices in poverty related consultations since 2011. After each forum, people tell us we need to meet more often, that we need to engage media and make sure that important strategies are followed through. "With Poverty Free KW, instead of having 12 people fighting different battles in different arenas, we have 12 people fighting as one, and that's a good thing." -- Len, Poverty Free Kitchener-Waterloo group member Poverty Free Kitchener-Waterloo Action Group has participated in 8 consultations and organized 2 community forums in 2013 alone, thanks to a unique way we look at successful outcomes of poverty reduction in our daily lives. Here is what we do for our community:
- We study and analyze a great deal of information, staying informed to keep you in the know.
- We keep the focus on important issues for your attention.
- We engage the wider community to make your voice stronger.
- We plan for action so you can make a difference.
- A gift of $50 will allow us to organize a community forum or series of kitchen table talks with 50 participants that would bring diverse experiences to life.
- A gift of $1,000 will allow us to promote the Local Framework for Poverty Elimination Outcomes with decision makers and media in Kitchener-Waterloo and area.
- A gift of $10,000 will fund an entire year of outreach and public forums that will ensure ongoing conversations to provide a stronger community voice in decision-making.
- Participate in the conversation by connecting with the Social Planning Council Kitchener-Waterloo to learn more about poverty elimination strategies: to get involved in community discussions and forums, sign up by contacting Aleksandra Petrovic at 519-570-1096 ext. 3010 or Aleksandra@waterlooregion.org.
- Donate to help us reach out to our community, to organize more forums and to empower more people to share what they know and why they care.