Pat the Dog Theatre Creation is Ontario’s only playwright development centre open to playwrights at all stages of their career. We are an incubator for Canadian theatre, which means we are a process-based theatre organization dedicated to the creation of new and innovative work for contemporary Canadian stages. Our mandate is to put local stories on local stages. We believe that telling and disseminating local stories, which reflect the diversity of our citizenry makes our community stronger and enhances the quality of life for all of our citizens.
We help develop local voices through several developmental tools including:
- Text+Tech: A nationally-recognized, curated exploration of technology, digital integration in text and theatre practice.
- The Women’s Room: A partnership with Sonderlust, The Women’s Room is the first and only female playwrights unit in Waterloo Region.
- E-bulletin: A bi-weekly newsletter of opportunities and news for Canadian playwrights. Pat the Dog’s e-bulletin has the largest subscription base in Canada.
- Intake for playwrights: Pat the Dog’s main services to Ontario playwrights include one-to-one dramaturgy as well as in-house and public readings and workshops.
We were founded in 2006 and incorporated in 2010. From humble beginnings of five local playwrights and a home in a briefcase, Pat the Dog Theatre Creation is now recognized as a cultural force in New Play Development in Canada.
An incubator is about people. We support and pay artists to develop these important stories and make sure that they are brought to our stages. As the only playwright development centre in Ontario open to playwrights at all stages of their career, Pat the Dog is constantly at capacity. This simple approach has proven very successful for us over the past decade. Our playwrights have received the following awards: Governor General’s Award for Drama, RBC Tarragon Emerging Playwright’s Award, the Playwrights Guild of Canada Comedy Award, and the KW Arts Award. These stories have been presented on the following stages: the Stratford Festival, the National Arts Centre, Tarragon Theatre, MT Space, SummerWorks Theatre Festival, Toronto, Winnipeg, and New York Fringe Festivals, IMPACT Festival, and Magnetic North Theatre Festival, to name but a few.
- $25 provides a playwright with a six month subscription to our e-bulletin.
- $50 pays a playwright for three hours of creation time.
- $100 pays a playwright for six hours of creation time.
- $250 pays a playwright to spend a one day residency with Pat the Dog.
- $500 pays a playwright to hear their play read by professional actors hired by Pat the Dog.
- $5,000 pays a full theatre team (playwright, director, actors) for a complete workshop.
- $10,000 pays a playwright to work full-time in the field in which they are trained to write a new Canadian play.
Your donation will make an impactful difference for our playwrights. Our core demographic is a recent University graduate with an MFA working two to three day jobs in an area not related to their studies. They work on their craft at the end of that very long day. Help us pay the talent and empower the voices in our region.