Telephone # 226-476-2535
Charitable # 863047015 RR0001
MissionMennoHomes mission is to provide affordable housing to those in need. Our housing projects will be economically and environmentally viable and sustainable, and will include support services for our tenants.
Affordable HousingGordon is one Elmira resident whose life could see a dramatic change for the better when MennoHomes' 25-unit apartment building in Elmira is finally completed. At 60, Gordon is surprised how hard it is to get around. "I've always been able to do hard manual work," he says. "In tile yards, poultry farms, dairy farms, or feed mills." But years of hard work have taken a toll. "This past summer I just wasn't able to stay steady onto my feet anymore." Gordon can walk with the help of two canes, but it is a struggle for him to manage the 24 steps to his second floor apartment in downtown Elmira. The stairs are hard on a regular day, but become an even larger obstacle on laundry day. Gordon has to 'step' his laundry basket down the stairs from his apartment, while juggling his canes and trying to stay standing. Within minutes he is fatigued, but after the drive to a nearby laundromat, the entire process is repeated when he returns home. With help from his son Jason, Gordon has been looking for an apartment with enough room to use a walker. They've found very few options, and so far everything is well beyond Gordon's limited budget. "One of the things I'm looking forward to is being able to have a walker and be able to get around that way, rather than with canes," Gordan days. MennoHomes' planned apartment building will have featured such as wide doorways and an elevator in order to respond to the needs of Gordon and others like him in Elmira that face the same daily struggle.
- $30 will buy a light fixture for a bedroom
- $100 provides and installs 20 bricks for the building exterior
- $500 buys and installs a durable kitchen sink and faucet for one apartment
- $1,000 will purchase and install windows for a one-bedroom apartment
- $2,900 will provide a full set of quality appliances for one apartment
- $10,000 will outfit appliances and cabinets for a kitchen and bathroom
- $30,000 purchases tile flooring and carpet for one floor of the entire building
- $130,000 will cover the cost to install an elevator