We foster and facilitate high quality, safe mentoring relationships for children in need.
Go Girls! is a group mentoring program for girls ages 12-14 that focuses on physical activity, balanced eating and self-esteem. The single, most important goal of the program is to positively shape the lives of young women and girls by helping them build a positive self-image, and setting them on a path to reach their full potential in life. The Go Girls! program consists of 7 mentoring sessions, held over a 7-10 week period within school facilities. Each 1.5-2 hour-long session takes place during the school day and is structured around four themes: physical activity, healthy eating, self-esteem, and communication skills.
Program stats show that:
- 86% of Go Girls! participants rate the program as "excellent"
- After participating in the program, 95% of girls indicated participation in regular physical activity
- After participating in the program, 92% of the girls reported that they had gained more knowledge on balanced eating and active living
- After participating in the program, 88% of the girls reported developing a more positive body image and increased self-esteem
- $25 will provide training resources to a new volunteer
- $50 will host a fun activity for youth in our programs
- $100 will provide healthy snacks for our Go Girls! program
- $250 will fill an activity bin with supplies for programs
- $1,000 will sponsor 15 girls to participate in our Go Girls! program
- Youth in our programs are 50% more likely to volunteer and give back to the community
- 80% of our Littles go on to pursue healthy lifestyles (and 90% say they are happy and confident)
- 78% of Littles whose families rely on social assistance programs go on to not use this form of income
This program is 100% funded by local fundraising efforts as our organization does not receive any government funding. We offer the program free of charge to young girls in our region.
: Join our monthly giving plan and invest in the future of our children and community. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Waterloo Region will process your credit card on a monthly basis - you won't even have to think about it.
One Time Donation
: Make a gift to support the children and youth of Waterloo Region through the power of mentoring. Donations can be made online, by mail or by phone.
: From volunteering with your workplace CSR program or gift matching program to sponsoring events, or lending us your expertise, there are lots of ways your company can get involved to help us make a difference.
: Celebrate a special occasion by making a donation to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Waterloo Region in your loved ones name. Why not give the gift of mentoring to celebrate a birthday, wedding, graduation or holiday gift. We can send a card to the designated recipient on your behalf and a tax receipt will be mailed to you.
: Honour someone special by making a donation in their memory. A gift made in memory of a loved one offers a thoughtful, caring way to remember the person, while making a difference in the lives of our region's youth. We will send an acknowledgement letter to the designated recipient, notifying him or her of your thoughtful gift. A tax receipt will be mailed to you.
: A legacy gift is a simple and meaningful way to continue your commitment to help better the lives of Waterloo Region's children. Through this method of giving you have an opportunity to make a lasting difference. A Legacy Gift is simple to make and can offer significant tax benefits. Examples of Legacy Gifts are Planned Giving, Gift of Life Insurance, Gift of Stock, Gift of Retirement Plans, and Gift of Annuities.
Give the Gift of Time
: We are always in need of volunteers and offer an array of opportunities starting at just one hour a week. No prior experience is needed; you must meet the program requirements, be at least 18 years of age, and live in Waterloo Region. We would be honoured to help you meet your volunteer goals while making a big impact on a child's life.